Recumbent bikes are gaining popularity in fitness clubs and gyms, as they are a great way to warm up the body for workout routines, and are also a solid way of working out. With the best recumbent exercise bikes in your own home, you will have a great workout underway.
With a recumbent bike you can do the best cardio workout without much stress on the joints when compared to that of the other bikes. Exercise with stationary recumbent bikes that are a staple at gyms and fitness clubs around the world.
Recumbent bikes are comfortable sit down exercise bikes which are gentle on our bodies unlike the regular exercise bikes that are rough on the joints and body. Recumbent bikes are preferred due to the seating which has good cushioning and provide us with adequate lumbar support.
Reclining exercise bikes are great workout bikes not only for the elderly but can be used by all age groups for keeping them fit for a healthy lifestyle. Recumbent bikes can take your fitness to the next level without the possibility of experiencing discomfort, stress, or injuries.
To help you decide which one among the models of the recumbent seated exercise bikes are for you, in this article we discuss a detailed review of the best recumbent bikes:
Best Recumbent Bikes Review
1. Marcy ME – 709
Are you looking for an easy way to shed some pounds and increase endurance without using much floor space? The Marcy ME-709 magnetic bike is the best one for you. It is a budget-friendly stationary bike that has the best features and is known for its variable resistance and adjustability. The model also has a higher user weight capacity and so it suits people of all age groups and sizes.
The Marcy ME-709 ranges between $150 – $200 plus shipping and it will be done across the globe.
The product comes with extraordinary features that make it ideal for all broad spectrums of people.
- Step-through design allows maximum mobility while quick mounting and dismounting that helps in facilitating the easiness over knees and back.
- Best magnetic resistance mechanism with eight resistance levels.
- It also contains tension knob to regulate on different terrains and so you can customize the workout based on the level of fitness
- It comes with an ultra-functional LCD computer screen with features such as time, speed, distance, and details on calories burned while working out.
- The panel shows the details of the features in extra-large view mode and so provides great readability that suits older people.
- Its ergonomics are great as they come with a saddle furnished with high-density foam. The foam covered handles are provided for ultimate comfort for the back and arms to help maintain proper form during the workout.
- The pedal of the bike is designed for maximal foot support providing ultimate control and also comes with adjustable foot straps to render a perfect fit to your feet.
Marcy ME-709 bike comes in three different colors – black/Gray/Copper that gives it a stylish appearance.
It comes with the assembled dimensions of 55.5 x 25 x 37.5 inches. The maximum signal can be picked up at 99.9 M/H. The bike also requires 2 AAA batteries to work efficiently.
- Low price – best quality bike for the best price
- Smaller footprint so it occupies less floor space
- Variable resistance, study and well-constructed
- High quality parts and stable on the ground
- Works smooth and quietly without noise, easy and wide access
- Adjustable seating and can be easily assembled features
- Backrest position is not adjustable and so not suitable for shorter people
- Does not monitor heart rate
Whether you’re doing cardio or just want to reduce some pounds, the Marcy ME-709 bike is the perfect equipment for your home gym. You can save money by investing in this bike and make it your favorite place at home.
The bike is manufactured of premium 14 – gauge steel tubing, PVC, and rubber. It has a quality structure that blends perfect design and performance with the powered finish. It can resist damages from the environment, scratchproof and so ensuring it can withstand heavy daily usage of the equipment. So with all these benefits it makes this bike a must have for all those desiring a new exercise bike.
2. Nautilus R616
The Nautilus R616 features Bluetooth LE connectivity, and goal tracking functionality enables the user to set and track workout goals with distance, time, and calories burned details. So if you want to shed some pounds easily, then choose Nautilus R616.
The Nautilus R616 ranges between $170 – $200 plus shipping and it delivers across the globe.
- It comes with a blue backlit dual track LCD with two windows that shows the details and information about 13 workout details precisely
- It also has the Bluetooth LE connectivity and a chargeable USB port
- This exercise bike has 29 programs that include 25 levels of resistance and 4 for users to customize their workout programs
- You can enjoy listening to music with the acoustic chambered speakers that are built along for a big-sounding effect while you are working
- The latest technology of grip heart rate display has enabled the chest strap.
- Super quiet workout exercise bike without much noise level
- Comfortable riding and smooth pads
- Numerous workout programs can be stored or changed
- Maximum levels of resistance
- Can enjoy music with the available MP3 port
The speakers are not of good quality
It has more features when compared to those of other exercise bikes in the market. The flywheel feature allows the bike to pedal smoothly without much stress on the joints and so targets muscles during a workout.
The bike comes with a 10-year warranty on the frame that includes 2 years mechanical and 1-year electrical warranty with 90 days on the labor. The drawbacks are very less and I would give it the best rating.
3. Schwinn 270 Recumbent bike
The Schwinn 270 recumbent bike is one of the best exercise bikes in the market and is suitable for fitness professionals as well as a novice. The bike is loaded with great features- it has 29 programmed workouts, device connectivity, and ability to download data and is incorporated with the latest technology. The overall quality of this bike is great and you cannot go wrong by choosing this bike.
The Schwinn 270 recumbent bike comes for $500 excluding shipping cost and can be shipped across the globe.
- The bike comes with 25 levels of resistance for intensive workouts at a wide range
- The bike has high-speed settings, high inertia drive system with the perimeter weighted flywheel option for smooth pedals, which is suitable for a consistent workout
- The bike has an LCD that monitors heart rate on handlebar grips and is telemetry enabled for chest strap capability
- Other key features are that it has an MP3 player port for music lovers and also has the in-console speakers with an iPod connectivity option
- It also has Bluetooth and USB data transfer functionality feature
- Great media shelf for an enjoyable exercise experience
- Contains three-speed levels of the cooling fan
- For ensuring the user to stay hydrated while doing a workout it has a water bottle holder feature
- It has transport wheels for easy mobility
- It can be used by overweight and obese people with a max weight of 300 lbs
- Great ventilated seat back feature
- 29 programmable features and fitness test options
- Wireless heart rate receiver and easy to use workout computer
- Ride social compatibility option
- Bluetooth data export feature
- Shorter warranty
- Not suitable for tall people
- Wireless heart rate transmitter is sold separately
Shipping and assembly
The shipping cost varies depending on the location and if you buy it from Amazon, the shipping is free of cost. Assembly of the bike is very easy and also takes very little time to fix the pieces.
This bike comes at an amazingly low price for all these great features. In contrast to the other bikes that are prone to breakage within a year, this model withstands for years and has many resistant levels. So if you are a serious fitness freak then Schwinn 270 exercise bike is the right choice.
4. Schwinn 230
Schwinn 230 is an excellent mid-range bike and has everything you need to get toned and also for weight loss. This bike ensures you workout at maximum comfort and it is a slimmed down model of Schwinn 270. This comes with 20 resistance levels and 22 workout programs.
The Schwinn 230 recumbent bike is available in the range of $500 to $700 excluding shipping and can be shipped across the globe.
- It comes with 20 levels of Eddy current brake resistance for a wider range of intensive workouts
- Comes with 22 workout programs
- It has dual track two LCD window system that allows you to monitor around 13 different features
- It gets connected to the goal tracking feature and data export keep you upgraded on reaching your fitness goals
- It has a high speed inertia driven system with a perimeter weighted flywheel for a smooth and consistent workout
- Has the USB data transfer functionality feature
- Comes with a 3-speed fan to keep you cool throughout your exercise
- To ensure the user is well hydrated it has a bottle holder to hydrate while exercising
- Contains transport wheels for easy mobility and so you can cart it around anywhere you go
- It also has a media shelf for an enjoyable exercise experience.
Apart from the above key technical feature it also has a few computer features including:
- 4 heart rate programs with custom settings
- Quick starting feature
- It shows the track of time, the interval between the exercises, distances, pulse, RPM.
- It also records speed, calories burned and also shows the resistance level you are currently working on
- Comfortable seating with cushioning effect at the bottom
- Sturdy body and 10 years of warranty frame
- Easy to assembly with the pieces and manuals
- Versatile console feature
- 2 user setting feature which is a perfectly good option
- The fan is present to give great relief while doing the workout
· USB port doesn’t export the data directly
· Heart rate monitor doesn’t work properly
The overall impression of the Schwinn 230 exercise bike is great with the above features. There are many good reviews from the users who used and expressed their general satisfaction. It is handy and good for all entry-level users with multi-level resistance with the enabling of varied programming features in it. What more do you want to start your workout right away?
5. Exerpeutic 400XL
Here is another great model of recumbent bikes. The exerpeutic 400XL folding bike has managed to make it among the top in the list of best recumbent bikes mostly and there is a reason for it being there. The bike is an elegant-looking model as it comes with a good blend of features including affordability, convenience, user functionality, and also durable.
And if you were avoiding getting a bike due to space constraint, then go for this fitness equipment now.
The Exerpeutic 400XL folding recumbent bike price ranges from $300 – $500 excluding shipping and if you buy it from Amazon, the shipping is free of cost across the globe.
- The foldable recumbent bike comes with a quiet V-belt double-drive transmission system feature.
- The bike can be folded up and rolled away when you are finished with the exercise
- It has a precision – balanced flywheel and has an 8 – level adjustable magnetic tension control system. These can be selected by turning the knob that is conveniently placed beneath the console
- There is also an odometer and a scan function and if you select it the monitor will rotate through the stats displaying one at the time each staying for around 6 seconds.
- Easy to read LCD that can track your distance, calories burned, time, speed, and heart rate
- It can be used as a desk bike with height adjustable features.
- The bike is available in semi-recumbent design for easy entry and exit in the house
- It also has a larger seating cushion and backrest features
- The bike is suitable for overweight people weighing around 300 lbs
- It’s a high-quality product at a valuable oriented price
- The bike has an adjustable seating arrangement that fits a person of height 5 feet 2 inches and also for 6 feet 2 inches user
- It has a 3 piece crank system with high torque that provides smooth and consistent pedaling motion
- The bike is foldable and portable so doesn’t occupy much space
- It has 8 resistant levels for all workout types
- Delivers smooth workout feature with the belt
- The semi-recumbent design allows anyone to use
- The backrest offers excellent support
- The bike is sturdy and durable
· No built-in workout program to customize the exercises
· No cooling fans
It is an excellent machine that can be easily stored in any household. With the above features, it is one of the basic and top-selling bikes with quiet and smooth driving features. The bike is fully loaded with great features which can help you achieve all your fitness goals.
6. Exerpeutic 900XL folding recumbent bike
The Exerpeutic 900XL recumbent bike is a popular recumbent bike that is known for its sturdiness. It is durable and has a user-friendly design to allow you to step through the machine to get on and off for the workouts at home. The machine has a low center of gravity and extended leg stabilizers to keep it in place while you are working out. So if you are a beginner wondering which bike to buy then go for this.
The Exerpeutic 900XL recumbent bike ranges between $150 – $200 and if you buy on Amazon the shipping is free anywhere in the world.
- The bike comes with a precise flywheel balance feature with V-belt drive and a smooth torque cranking system that provides a smooth and quiet operation
- The machine does not make much noise and so can be used indoors while watching TV or playing with kids
- It has a heart rate monitor in hand grips
- The bike has 8 levels magnetic resistance option for a wide range of intensive workouts
- It has a smooth padded oversized seat cushion
- The backrest is extremely comfortable and soft to lean back on
- It has extended leg stabilizers for prevention of movement while doing a workout
- It also has a large pedal design with straps to prevent the foot from slipping during the pedaling workout
- It also comes with transport wheels for easy mobility option so you can store at the corner once you are done with the exercise
- The bike is ideal for all age groups and also for those overweight upto a max of 300 lbs.
Apart from the above technical features, the bike also has computer features:
- Comes with dual LCD
- Containing the scanning option to display workout data
- The data covers distances, calories burned, time, speed, and heart rate.
The bike comes with a 3 years warranty on frame with 90 days of labor warranty on parts.
Shipping and assembly
The shipping cost varies depending on the location and if you buy it from Amazon, the shipping is free of cost. Assembly of the bike is very easy and also takes very little time to fix the pieces.
- Step-thru design is great to accommodate a wide range of users
- An easy and handy way to check the heart rate
- Leg stabilizers to offer stability to the unit
- Excellent seating with padded feature and large
- Great and comfortable backrest feature
- Pedals come with safety straps to avoid slipping while pedaling
- No option of pre-set programming feature for users
- No cooling fan option
From the above features it’s clear that this is easy and excellent for people who are looking for a decent workout at home. It falls under the range of $300 and so it is affordable for everyone to start their workout right away. This bike is excellent, highly durable and comfortable and is undoubtedly a great solution for all your fitness needs.
7. HCI fitness Physiocycle XT recumbent bike
If you are looking for versatile equipment for exercise then this bike provides a smooth and enjoyable body workout. HCI fitness Physiocycle XT recumbent bike has been designed for users to select combined exercise modalities to target both upper and lower body parts. This means that both the arms and the legs will have a good workout.
The HCI fitness physiocycle XT recumbent bike price ranges from $200 to $400 including shipping and if you are ordering from Amazon the price may be a little lesser as the shipment is free of cost across the globe.
- The bike comes with walk-through design that makes it easy getting on and off the machine
- The bike has a large easy-to-read display that gives information about speed, time, distance, pulse, calories, and resistance level you are currently working on
- It can be set at 7 different programs including manual, interval, valley, mountain, ramp, hills, and HRC.
- Great ergonomics that makes the recumbent cyclic motion move together to offer a smooth and enjoyable total body workout
- The bike comes with hi-lo adjustable performance seat
- The seat has 15 positions to ensure the proper fit for all users
- The raising of the seat level allows the user to target different muscle groups without any strain and stress on the joints
- It comes with a contoured mesh seat back that provides support and comfort while exercising
- The bike has a pulse sensor on seat handles that help to easily check the heart rate
- Pedals of the recumbent bikes come with adjustable straps for easy use
- The bike has transportation wheels for easy movement
- Both leg and arm pedals help for total body and cardio workout
- Comfortable seating and backrest with 15 options
- Equipped with clear backlit LCD screen
- Sturdy bike with durability
- Can withstand the weight of 300 lbs
LCD screen looks very basic for the price
If you want basic equipment that doesn’t occupy more space at home, then you can choose this bike. With both the bi-directional ergonomics you can work out both upper and lower body muscles. It is a high quality affordable recumbent bike for homely use.
8. Sunny Health & Fitness SF – RB4880 PowerSync
The SF – RB4880 is the best recumbent bike from Sunny Health & Fitness and is well known for its self-powered motorized magnetic resistance system that allows easy workout at home. The bike also has several workout modes and other features that keep you motivated to work out on the target muscles.
The Sunny Health & Fitness SF – RB4880 powersync bike price ranges more than $1000 inclusive of shipping and if you are buying the same from Amazon, the shipment is free across the globe.
- The bike has magnetic tension that modifies the resistance in home cardio workout.
- It has a knob that can be rotated through the 24 levels of computer-controlled magnetic resistance
- It has 12 workout pre-sets that can build and maintain your cardiovascular endurance
- It has three modes – beginner, advance, and sporty mode to ensure an easy workout program
- It can be connected to devices via AUX port to enjoy music while doing workouts
- It is self-powered by consistent cycling and you can use to charge your favorite device via a USB port
- The bike also has a holder to hold your devices like smartphone or tablet while working out
- The bike has two-seat level pulse sensors that are easy to grab while you are still at work.
- The sensor can be used to gauge current cardiovascular efficiency.
- The wide bike seating provides a long comfortable workout session
- The step-through design allows easy mounting of the seats and you can grab on the ergonomics of handlebars for wonderful support while you are on the bike.
- The pedals are featured with straps to avoid your feet from slipping when pedaling faster
- The bike has a controlled color performance monitor to track your speed, time, distance, rotation per minute, calories burned, pulse count, and wattage
- It has a resistance dial to precisely control magnetic resistance
- It also has a mesh seat backrest to lean comfortably
Dimension and weight
The recumbent bike comes with surprisingly enough considerable features and is not too big or heavy. The bike is quite compact, less space occupancy, and lightweight too. The recumbent bike comes with the dimension of 66 x 26 x 44.5 inches and weighs around 112 pounds.
- Sturdy steel frame capacity of 300 lbs
- Adjustable rubber stabilizers on both sides for support
- Transport wheels for great portability feature
- Lift handle on rear base option
- The flexible and breathable mesh backrest
- Weighted pedals with adjustable straps
- 24 resistance levels available
- 6 workout modes with 4 pre-set options
- Sound, USB, connectivity included
- Excellent warranty
- Easy to use and requires less maintenance
- No bottle holder to get hydrated while working out
- The tablet holder covers the console display
The bike is perfect for those who prefer multi workout programs. These features make the bike best for all age groups who wish to tone their muscles and also for weight loss programs. I am sure this bike is great for stamina development, recovery training, and cardio workouts.
9. Progear 555LXT Magnetic Tension Recumbent Bike
The Progear 555LXT magnetic tension bike is an awesome entry-level model bike that has excellent features and is made of high-quality materials. It is a wonderful choice that goes well with all fitness levels and is reliable as it is solidly built.
The Progear 555LXT magnetic tension recumbent bike comes with the whole package of goal setting computer features that costs around $160 – $200. This is the basic bike that suits all beginner workout people.
- It is made of solid strong steel frame construction
- It has a quiet belt drive system that allows you to workout without any noise
- The bike comes with a step-through design for easy access
- The bike has wider screen computer LCD feature that provides large numbers for easy viewing
- It has 14 levels of smooth magnetic tension resistance
- The bike has 3 computer goal workout settings to display distance, time, speed, calories burned, and other cardio-related counts.
- Contains oversized pedals with secure foot straps
- Comes with soft grip handlebars to ensure safety
- Adjustable seating with cushioning feature for a longer workout
- Water holder option to hydrate during the workout sessions
Dimensions and weight
The recumbent bike comes with surprisingly enough considerable features and is not too big or heavy. The bike is quite compact, less space occupancy, and lightweight too. The dimensions include 49 x 22 x 43 and weigh 60 pounds.
- Solid frame for a light recumbent bike
- Adjustable seat position and so can suit for 5 inches and 6’3”
- Quiet magnetic brake system
- Lightweight and easy to handle
- Little or no maintenance required
- SCAN, odometer, and goal setting options available
- 14 levels of magnetic resistance option
- Bottle holder
- Comes with no pulse sensor feature
- No front handlebar option
Considering the ProGear 555LXT recumbent bike being cheaper but packed with features it is best for newbies. It is a very good choice if you are looking for a light and compact exercise bike to lose some weight or improve your fitness and also to tone your legs.
10. 3G Cardio Elite RB Recumbent Exercise Bike
The 3G Cardio Elite RB exercise bike has rave reviews and always gets sold out quickly. The bike is light and compact in design and comes with great ergonomics that narrows the Q-factor distance between the pedals. The bike is known for its good build.
The 3G Cardio Elite RB Recumbent bike comes with excellent features and is relatively small and compact when compared to the other bikes. The cost of it ranges between $170 – $250 inclusive of shipping and when bought from Amazon, the shipping is free all over.
- The bike comes in small compact built with 49-inch length and 27 inches width
- The bike has a magnetic resistance system with 16 levels
- It has an adjustable multi-position seat suitable for short and tall people
- The bike has handlebars with remote control option and also contains a pulse monitor to track your heart rate
- The bike is equipped with an LCD monitor with stats and 12 workout programs
- Made of great ergonomic design that is well built and can be easily portable
- The bike has a handheld heart rate contact sensor and comes with a wireless heart rate strap
- Also has the narrow Q factor distance between the pedals making for an extremely comfortable ride
- Comes with assembled dimensions of 49 x 27 x 43 and weighs around 115 lbs.
- Heavy and sturdy bike for a workout
- Great seat comfortability with adjustable features
- Mesh seat back with angular adjustability
- Compact in design
- LCD monitor display is not so user friendly
- No step-through design
With the above features and designs the bike is best for any kind of workout level and you can certainly opt for this 3G cardio recumbent bike for a comfortable home workout.
In this in depth review of the 10 best recumbent bikes review we hope to provide you with all the information you need to make an informed purchase for yourself today. In our opinion, the Schwinn 270 recumbent bike is one of the best exercise bikes in the market and is suitable for fitness professionals as well as a novice. The bike is loaded with great features- it has 29 programmed workouts, device connectivity, and ability to download data and is incorporated with the latest technology. The overall quality of this bike is great and you cannot go wrong by choosing this bike.